We’ll Help Provide Adult Cat Care Needed by Your Pet
At the Hastings Veterinary Clinic, we’ll help you provide the adult cat care your pet needs to be healthy, fit, and happy. Our services include preventative treatment programs, surgeries, checkups, and emergency care when required.
Adult Cats Need Annual Checkups
An adult cat (ages 1 – 7), whether he or she is strictly indoor and not exposed to outdoor risks, is still recommended to receive an annual examination. Annual checkups can benefit both you and your cat by catching early signs of illnesses and health problems.
Cats of all ages are known for their ability to conceal any physical problems; whether it is pain or illness. Early detection during an examination can often save your pet from any unnecessary suffering, and save you money with early treatment.
What to Expect During a Checkup
- Your veterinarian will conduct a full physical examination and evaluate the following:
- Heart – to detect murmurs
- Lungs – to listen for any unusual sounds
- Abdomen – to feel for signs of pain, or abnormal size and shape of various organs
- Eyes – to detect early signs of eye problems, including cataracts in older cats
- Ears – to check for infection or parasites
- Teeth – to look for gum disease or tooth injuries
- Weight – to track possible obesity or unexplained weight loss
- Skin and Coat – to look for mites and external parasites, or fungal and bacterial infections
- Musculoskeletal system – for signs of injury or illness
- You will also be asked about his or her behaviour, grooming, and eating habits as well as any concerns you may have.
- He will receive any vaccinations needed, depending on his likely exposure to other animals and outdoor risks.
- He will be treated for fleas and parasites if any are found.
Come to Us for Emergency Care When Needed
In spite of your best efforts to provide good care, your cat may suffer an accident or develop an illness.
If you notice anything abnormal between checkups, please contact the hospital right away. Our staff will assist you with booking an appointment at your earliest convenience.
If you notice any of these symptoms, please do not hesitate to contact us:
- Lethargy or weakness
- Constipation, diarrhea with or without blood
- Frequent urination with or without blood
- Urinating and deficating outside the litter box
- Lack of appetite
- Extreme weight gain or loss
- Excessive thirst
- Unusual vocalizations
- Bad breath
- Lumps or bumps
- Changes in behavior
- Laboured breathing or shortness of breath
In the case of an accident, please contact our hospital as soon as possible.
Your cat’s care and comfort is our concern. Whether it is a regular visit, or an illness or accident, we will do everything possible to ensure his or her good health and happiness.
To learn more about adult cat care and programs for keeping your pet healthy and happy, visit our clinic at: 3995 Hastings Street, Burnaby, BC, V5C 2H8; or phone: 604-291-6666.