Our Clinic Provides Dog Care To Meet Your Pet’s Needs
Hastings Veterinary Clinic offers dog care for puppies, adults, and seniors and takes your pet’s needs seriously. We pride ourselves on making checkups and vaccinations as stress-free as possible. We offer surgical services when required, including routine spaying and neutering as well as general surgery and canine dentistry. With our digital radiology equipment, we are able to offer on-site x-rays for diagnostics when your pet is ill or injured, as well as ultrasound.
We also have a specialty dermatological clinic with a trained dermatologist on staff to diagnose and treat any possible skin condition or irritation.
With our in‐house pharmacy, we are able to offer nutritional and behavioural treatment, provide pain management, and assist you in finding the right medication to help with any potential illness that may affect your dog.
Your Dog’s Annual Checkup is Part of Preventative Care
An annual checkup is crucial for your dog’s health as early warning signs of a problem can be identified and early treatment can be started. This helps to keep your pet healthy and happy.
During a check-up we examine:
- Heart – to listen to its rhythm and heart rate and detect heart murmurs
- Lungs – to listen for any unusual sounds
- Abdomen – to feel for signs of pain, or abnormal size and shape of various organs
- Eyes – to detect early signs of eye problems
- Ears – to check for infection or parasites
- Teeth – to look for gum disease, dental plaque, and tartar buildup
- Weight – to track possible obesity or unexplained weight loss
- Skin and hair/coat health – to look for mites and external parasites, or fungal and bacterial infections
- Musculoskeletal system– for signs of injury or illness
An annual checkup will benefit both you and your dog because it will identify early signs of health issues and illnesses. If you notice anything amiss with your pet, don’t wait for his or her scheduled checkup. Call us right away to book an appointment and we will get your dog in for an examination as soon as possible.
Your Pet Needs Vaccinations and Flea and Parasite Control
Today vaccines can prevent many of the illnesses and diseases that have troubled dogs in the past, such as distemper, hepatitis, leptospirosis, parvovirus, Lyme disease, and bordetella (a.k.a. kennel cough). A proper set of routine vaccinations ensure your dog will stay free from these diseases throughout their lives.
The core vaccination program should begin when your puppy is between 6 and 8 weeks old. Booster vaccines are required in order to reach proper immunity.
Fleas are a major problem in the Vancouver and Burnaby area and preventing them requires routine prevention. We will advise you on the latest procedure for your dog. Proper flea control comes with oral and topical solutions, which we can apply to your dog; it depends on their lifestyle and how great exposure is to fleas in your area.
Our treatment plans also include effective preventative measures for parasites such as heartworm.
More information can be found on our vaccinations page.
Spaying, Neutering, and Surgical Procedures are Available
Spaying and neutering involves the removal of reproductive organs to reduce sexual behaviour, aggression, and the risk of health problems.
- Spaying – the removal of the uterus and ovaries in female canines
- Neutering – the removal of the testicles in male canines
Hastings Veterinary Clinic has a fully equipped surgical center to perform all forms of surgery that may be required.
- Soft tissue surgery – These are procedures that are not associated with bones, such as the removal of masses or lumps to make sure they aren’t cancerous, bladder stone removal, and intestinal surgeries such as foreign body removal.
- Bone surgery – These are procedures that are associated with bones, such as leg or hip fractures, knee injuries, cruciate ligament rupture (ACL injury), and so on.
- Insertion of microchips – This ensures easy identification if your dog ever gets lost. It is a simple and quick procedure that does not require anaesthetic.
We are dedicated to providing the best dog care possible to help your pet live a long, healthy, and happy life. Visit our clinic and learn more about our preventative treatments, illness diagnosis and care, and surgery capabilities at 3995 Hastings Street, Burnaby, BC, V5C 2H8, or phone: 604-291-6666.